New Maize component
An extension of the project "Implementation of the ECPGR EVA Network on wheat/barley and vegetable crops (carrot, lettuce and pepper)” was granted by the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture with an additional contribution of ca. € 300 000 until November 2022. This extension will enable the newly formed Working Group on Maize to add value to European maize genetic resources within an appropriate framework of public/private partnerships, with adoption of common standards, use of EURISCO and strengthening of the AEGIS collection. In practice, during the project duration a total of 200-500 European genebank accessions of maize will be genotyped and evaluated for biotic and abiotic stresses in multilocation experiments.
- Project - Implementation of the ECPGR European Evaluation Network (EVA) on wheat/barley and vegetable crops (carrot, lettuce and pepper)” with the addition of a Maize component and improved access to existing barley, wheat and maize evaluation data (292,0 KB)
Following up from the establishment by the Steering Committee of the European PGRFA Evaluation Network (EVA), the ECPGR Secretariat has successfully submitted a proposal to Germany for funding of a three-year project (2019-2022) that will kick-start the wheat and barley EVA network and the vegetables (carrot, lettuce and pepper) EVA network for three years. Agreements in principle to participate in the two networks have been obtained from a number of private breeding companies and research institutions (Wheat and barley, see here; Vegetables, see here). Each year a different batch of European genebank accessions will be multiplied and then evaluated in multiple locations for disease resistance and other traits. All accessions will be genotyped. All data will be provided to EURISCO and made widely available after an embargo period, to incentivize the collaboration of private breeders.
The framework for EVA, a European Network for the Evaluation of Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (PGRFA) was established by the ECPGR Steering Committee during its 15th Meeting.
Inter alia, EVA aims to:
- Promote the establishment of European Private Public Partnerships to carry out targeted evaluation of PGRFA
- Promote and improve the digitization, harmonization, availability and exchange of existing and newly generated evaluation data of PGRFA
- Improve the evaluation of PGRFA through coordinated and collaborative efforts, using harmonized methods and standard protocols and the development of best practices, guidelines and tools
- Establishment of the European PGRFA Evaluation Network (EVA) (162,9 KB)
approved by the ECPGR Steering Committee in May 2018
- Memorandum of Understanding for an enhanced cooperation between ECPGR and the European Seed Association (ESA) (2,8 MB)
Signature of MoU by Szonja Csörgö (ESA) and Eva Thörn (ExCo Chair)
(Photo by E. Avdikos, HAO-DEMETER)