The ECPGR Secretariat is currently provided by Bioversity International as appointed by the Steering Committee.
The responsibilities of the Coordinating Secretariat are:
- To ensure the implementation of the Programme in accordance with the mandate given by the SC;
- To coordinate the activities carried out in the framework of the Programme;
- To be responsible for the financial management of the Programme;
- To provide progress reports on a regular basis;
- To provide technical and financial reports to the SC for approval;
- To provide support to WGs and ensure that the agreed workplans are carried out;
- To provide support to NCGs and, where necessary, to assist in preparing evaluation on Network activities and the formulation of workplans and priorities;
- To initiate ad hoc activities in accordance with guidance provided by the SC;
- To gather and distribute information;
- To assist in the formulation of project proposals for joint activities and to implement projects, as agreed by the SC;
- To search for donors to support particular elements of workplans and ad hoc activities;
- To provide a link with other regions;
- To contribute to raising public awareness about the Programme and its activities;
- To undertake any further activity as agreed mutually with the SC.
At the outset of a new Phase, the Coordinating Secretariat will:
- Provide the SC with a calendar of the meetings foreseen for the entire Phase, in order to allow the member countries to plan their participation in WG meetings.
Before the Mid-term Steering Committee meeting (one month prior to the meeting), the Coordinating Secretariat will:
- Provide the SC with a compilation of the NCG reports on progress made by each Network during the first half Phase;
- Provide the SC with a compilation of all the proposals received from the NCGs related to the subsequent Phase;
- Prepare a document for the SC containing information on new policy developments in international fora, mainly compiled on the basis of information and opinions collected from National Coordinators and observers in the SC. The background document will include all relevant information on developments in the EU and in international fora that might impact on ECPGR activities, including the views of involved sectors regarding priorities for the future;
- Provide information on the current status of the ECPGR finances.
Before the End-of-PhaseSteering Committee meeting (one month prior to the meeting), the Coordinating Secretariat will:
- Provide the SC with a compilation of the NCG reports on progress made by each Network in the current Phase;
- Provide the SC with a compilation of all the revised and detailed proposals received from the NCGs related to the subsequent Phase;
- Update the document containing information on new policy developments and make it available to the SC in a revised form, with the purpose of verifying the choice of priorities made in the previous Mid-term meeting;
- Provide information on the ECPGR finances at the end of the current Phase;
- Provide a draft budget for the subsequent Phase.